Friday, September 16, 2011

"It does not matter how slowly you go so long as you do not stop." -Confucious

School. I think that my first day of school here in Spain has easily been the most difficult and worst day of my life so far. I used to complain I was overwhelmed at school at Lyme-Old Lyme, but let me tell you, never again will I complain about school. My first day of school here has shown me a whole new light. I walked into that school yesterday without ever having been there before. I didn´t know my teachers. I didn´t know any of the kids (except for another exchange student from switzerland but shes in the grade above me so I never really see her). I didn´t know what classes I´d be taking. The one thing I did know was that I was a primero bachillerta de ciencas. Which helped direct me to my first class where I was given my schedule. So, I had a previous source tell me that in Spain you stay in the same classroom all day and the teachers come to you. Not here. You move around with the same kids, not always the same exact group, but its always the same kids, but a different combination in each class. Also, the teachers don´t each have their own room, you go to the room that class is assigned on that day. It is all very confusing.
So here are my official classes:
-Philosophy. (I almost cried today when he was giving the assignment because I understood absolutly zero of it)
- English (havn´t had it yet, but it will be easssyyy)
-Biology and Geology (only six kids, but it will be nice because then it will allow me to get better extra help from the teacher)
-Physics and Chemistry (the teacher is hilarious, and he actually knows some english so he attempts to help me understand)
-Science for the Contemporary world (yeah, three sciences, I hope my science teachers love me when I get back)
-Lengua (another class I almost cried in...it is a really large class so the teacher has very little mercy. She also gave my first Spanish homework assignment)
- Math (The teacher is great, and the math is things I learned already so far, so its a class I actually enjoy. We learned about different kinds of numbers like natural, rational, irrational, etc, stuff I already knew, but now I know a lot of math terms in Spanish!)
-ACE (basically study hall)
-French. (really? french? I know nothing in french. And now i have to take it spanish to french, both languages in which I am not very good.)
-PE
-and lastly Proyecto Integrado, which is a class where we doin various projects, we only have it on Fridays, but it sounds cool. Our first project is to make a travel guide for Malaga in a group. The kids in my classes with me are super supportive, and two kids asked me to be in their group so I have a group and we are going sight seeing on Monday to get information for our guide! What a unique way to see the city :)
I will say that today (second day of school) was better. And it can only improve from here. It is just really tough not understanding, but "poco a poco", little by little I will begin to understand and improve.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Ally,

    Hang in there. A wise old man once told me (when I was having one of those "worst in my life" days)...."if this is as bad as it gets, then you've dealt with the worst and it'll only get better."

    Have to admit that taking French via Spanish sounds very......um....character building!

    Sonrisas.

    Doug.

    ReplyDelete